Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

OK Valentines Day has officially come and gone, but I am just getting a chance to update with pics now. I never really intended to start a blog. But, after posting pics of things I do with my kids some friends suggested I start one so they could access the ideas later. (So, this ones for you Kelly!)

My kids are big fans of count downs. It adds to the excitement and gives us something to look forward to each day! So, after we hung all the glitter hearts we could make, baked the cookies and painted hand print decorations we got ready for our count down starting the week of Valentine's Day.

The only time I can get out to shop (and think) is after my kids go to bed. In recent weeks we have been trapped inside by big snow storms and sickness. Shopping alone for Valentine's Day was not an option So, I had to use what I had on hand and get creative.



And from that came our Valentine's Day mailbox and activity center. My girls love getting mail and I thought why not leave them a little love each day as we count down to the big day? I did a quick Google search for a coloring page, some Valentine's Day jokes and a jigsaw puzzle, and finished with a love letter written by me. I left one of those each day in the mail box portion. They enjoyed checking the mail box every morning. They could play with the activity center any time they wanted. After a little digging around the house I found I had more Valentine themed items than I knew I had. A few books, a puzzle and some laminated matching cards. I slowly added some other fun items as the week went on. Since I didn't really plan ahead I just had the girls glue some glitter to cut out hearts and taped them along with left over store bought class valentines to the wall around our table. I also taped a plastic table cover to the wall and draped over the kids table in the kitchen. The whole thing cost me zero dollars which is my favorite amount to spend. It just took a little rummaging through my house and using what we already have on hand. It was a huge hit! Already dreaming how to make a similar activity center for St. Patrick's Day! 

What are some fun Valentine activities you do with your little ones?



No comments:

Post a Comment